List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Writing plugin for kabc
From:       Szombathelyi_György <gyurco () freemail ! hu>
Date:       2004-03-19 11:06:25

Hello!

Cornelius Schumacher wrote:

>>>for other cases you need the search, e.g. for completing an email
>>>address from a big LDAP directory.
>>
>>Both cases can covered nicely with a search API, no reason to provide
>>two APIs.
>

> That's not true. A local addressbook which is shown in a list view is
> something fundamentally different than a LDAP server providing thousands of
> entries. The biggest problem of the current API is that it treats both cases
> in the same way.

And it's working very nicely until there are no more than about 1-2000
entries, so this functionality should be preservered. I think it would
be nice to mention somewhere to the user (in better English):
"If you have no more than some hundreds of entries in the LDAP
directory, then you can use the LDAP resource for convenient access to
the contacts in the directory, and if you have thousands of entries,
please configure the LDAP lookup functionality in KAddressBook where you
can use the directory for address searching & completion."

Bye,
György