List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] Quality Team / Janitors Tasks
From:       "Carlos Leonhard Woelz" <carloswoelz () imap-mail ! com>
Date:       2004-01-22 16:52:16

I have already a page for kdepim in the Quality Team framework.
Kde-pim is an excellent initial target for the Quality Teams for the
reasons already mentioned:
- It will have a shorter cicle
- You can still use kde 3.2 stable for the rest of your desktop
- There is a lot of excitement involving KDE PIM, as Kontact and Kolab
are emerging
- The kdepim developers are very active and take careful care of their
"children"
  (the programms). If we can make it there we can make it anywere. It's
  the New Yory of KDE ;)

The advantages of having these tasks inside the Quality Team Wiki
framework are:
- It is ready.
- They are now part of a larger framework. The experience with you could
help greatly
  other modules.
- The Wiki is better for collaboration tasks, it is easier to maintain as
you already
  have a volunteer do so (me). This is dynamic info. A wiki is good for
  that.
- There is infrastructure in place to guide new volunteers:
    - I wrote a "Contributing HOWTO"
      http://kde.ground.cz/tiki-index.php?page=KDE+Quality+Team+HOWTO
    - I wrote a "Really Easy Building KDE CVS Guide Step by Step", with
    instructions for
      non developers newbies, including the choice of branches, etc...
      This guide was
      based in Gary Cramblitt work. (Newbie Guide)
      http://kde.ground.cz/tiki-index.php?page=Why+CVS
    - I am writing a "Managing CVS" guide, to teach people how to patch,
    diff, update,
      manage conflicts and  submit patches to maintainers
      http://kde.ground.cz/tiki-index.php?page=KDE+CVS+Management
  Most of the tasks need at least a fresh KDE build, so information for
  non developers is
  important.
- I added some new tasks to the task list.
- If you do not agree with something you can modify it yourself!
- When we agree about the stuff, I will make public the site (which will
also have a kde.org
  version), and kdepim could get new volunteers from this web traffic.

Advantages for locating it in the pim page? You could point the wiki site
form the kdepim page.

To start browsing the content, please start in the main page. Kdepim is
cited as
an excellent target:
http://kde.ground.cz/tiki-index.php?page=KDE+Quality+Team

The KDE Pim task pages is located here:
http://kde.ground.cz/tiki-index.php?page=Quality+Team+kdepim

And for the application pages, I only "wrote" the KOrganizer one: But
this page is an eternal work in progress, as it should reflect the
progress of the team members:
http://kde.ground.cz/tiki-index.php?page=KOrganizer+Quality+Team+Page

I hope you like it. I put a lot of work in all thisa infrastructure, and
I am ready to modify it to fit your needs. I would like to note that I
did not arrive with this idea out of the thin air: there werediscussions
about it in kde-core-devel, kde-usability and I asked on IRC about this
idea of making kdepim the first target for the quality teams, and got a
"this is obviously a good idea" as an answer (by David Faure).

My objective is making contributing to KDE easy, and take some burden out
of the developers back.

Cheers,
--
  Carlos Leonhard Woelz