List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Nubie needs help setting up USB/kpilot
From:       Adriaan de Groot <adridg () cs ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2003-12-26 0:08:17

Hi Ian,

On Thursday 25 December 2003 22:15, Ian wrote:
> I am trying to switch my main machine from windows to linux. Having
> chosen Mandrake 9.2, with KDE, and got email, assp and news
> working....now to get Kpilot to talk to the Clie via my USB cradle.

First, please do search the archive of the kde-pim mailing list on this
subject, and check the FAQ on the KPilot website (you've done the latter, I
see). This subject comes up in some form fairly regularly.

> I have kpilot installed (it comes with Mandrake 9.2) but it does not
> work because /dev/pilot does not exist. I can find out how to use ln,
> but not what to ln to /dev/pilot. I can find no USB devices in /dev,
> but there is an empty directory /dev/usb.

A useful thing to try is to just connect the Clie, hit the hotsync button, and
watch the fireworks in /var/log/messages (or in dmesg). You'll probably see
that the device connects, is assigned a device name in /dev/usb/tts*, and
then disconnects. If not, try "modprobe visor" to get the visor kernel module
installed and try again.

That device name is what you should fill in in the device field of KPilot's
configuration.

There's surely a neat way to configure whatever usb manager demon Mandrake
uses, but I don't know about it (maybe I'll force David to show me next
week).

> Googling tells me I may need pilot-link. Sounds plausible, but not
> certain. I get it anyway, and ran ./configure in the pilot-link

You probably already have it - check with the package manager. And it's
probably easier to install the rpm than to compile from source, anyway. And
if you are going to compile from source, find and install every -devel rpm
from Mandrake you can find, since they contain all the necessary programming
information to be able to compile new programs. qt-devel, kdelibs-devel,
kdebase-devel, pilot-link-devel (maybe not that one) at the very least.

Feel free to curse the Linux habit of not installing header files.

> usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs

check again after hitting the hotsync button once.

> Then I tried  tail -f /var/log/messages and got a permission error!

Check the permissions, and possibly do that as root.

--
pub  1024D/FEA2A3FE 2002-06-18 Adriaan de Groot <groot@kde.org>
            If the door is ajar, can we fill it with door-jamb?