List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] Re: Nubie needs help setting up USB/kpilot
From:       Whitehawk Stormchaser <zerokode () gmx ! net>
Date:       2003-12-25 23:07:55

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to switch my main machine from windows to linux. Having
> chosen Mandrake 9.2, with KDE, and got email, assp and news
> working....now to get Kpilot to talk to the Clie via my USB cradle.
>
> I have kpilot installed (it comes with Mandrake 9.2) but it does not
> work because /dev/pilot does not exist. I can find out how to use ln,
> but not what to ln to /dev/pilot. I can find no USB devices in /dev,
> but there is an empty directory /dev/usb.
>
> Googling tells me I may need pilot-link. Sounds plausible, but not
> certain. I get it anyway, and ran ./configure in the pilot-link
> directory and it scrolled up lots of checks ending with .....
>
> checking for add_history in -lterminfo... no
> checking for add_history in -ltermlib... no
> checking for readline... not found
> configure: error: Development headers for readline were not found.
> Please correct.
> [ian@pluto pilot-link-0.11.8]$
>
> Hmmph!  I understand the words, but arranged like that the meaning
> escapes me!  What is a development header, why should I need some of
> them for readline?
>
> Then more googling gets me to
> http://www.slac.com/pilone/kpilot_home/faq.html#q3
> where I discover I may have a hardware problem. (Configuration rather
> than faulty I suspect).
>
> Using dmesg gave me so much it vanished off the screen.
>
> dmesg | grep usb  gives....
>
> usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
> usb.c: registered new driver hub
> usb-uhci.c: $Revision: 1.275 $ time 12:42:04 Sep 18 2003
> usb-uhci.c: High bandwidth mode enabled
> usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xd000, IRQ 11
> usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
> usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
> usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xd800, IRQ 11
> usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
> usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
> usb-uhci.c: v1.275:USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver
> usbdevfs: remount parameter error
>
> I do indeed have two USB ports.  I don't know if this error is
> important or not. (The ports worked under windows, so they are active
> in the bios).
>
> Then I tried  tail -f /var/log/messages and got a permission error!
>
> Help. I have exhausted what I know - and I *still* do not know if what
> I am trying to do is even possible.
>
> What do I try next? Thanks for your replies.
>
> Regards
>
> Ian
>
> p.s. I hope the information needed in the above - if not, please ask.

Hi, Ian!
You should check some Linux manuals about this, but this is the shortest
version... The USB ports are located at /dev/ttyUSB(0-3), and you should
insert one of those ports in the KPilot using KPilot->Settings->Configure,
and instead of the"Pilot device" pointing to /dev/pilot tell it to point
to /dev/ttyUSB(and your number).

Oh, Adrian: Have another device to add to "it works": Sony Clie PEG T675c
(european T665C) with the KPilot 4.4.0 and 2.4.20 kernel :)

Regards. ~W
(Dennis Ritchie)