List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Why does Korganizer not like December 22?
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-12-23 8:27:22

On Tuesday 23 December 2003 00:03, Eugene Nine wrote:

> If I understand right this is how databases work (Mysql, m$ SQL server,
> etc) the sql server reads in the database file and then handles all the
> record locking/conflicts.  I'm not much of a programmer but I think doing
> similar would work the only difference would be it would respond to DCOP
> instead of a network port (could make it listen on a network port as well,
> share your calendar).  Basically make the libkcal start up when any app
> calls it, then it reads the ical file and does the communicating with the
> applications. Each application would make the dcop calls and those would
> trigger the loading of the libkcal "service"  A file open command would be
> passed trough the libkcal service instead of the app reading the calendar
> file.

Any idea how to make this as efficient as direct function calls? At the moment
the calendar is just a normal C++ object which is present in memory and all
the data is passed through the regular C++ API. To replace this by DCOP would
mean a DCOP call for each and every little piece of data which is shown on
the screen or processed in any way. This would be quite some overhead because
all the data has to be serialized/deserialized and it wouldn't be possible
anymore to pass pointers to objects in memory.