List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Why does Korganizer not like December 22?
From:       Eugene Nine <enine () ninefamily ! com>
Date:       2003-12-22 23:03:46

On Tuesday 23 December 2003 03:46 am, Mark Bucciarelli wrote:
> On Monday 22 December 2003 1:18 pm, Eugene Nine wrote:
> > On Monday 22 December 2003 10:47 pm, Mark Bucciarelli wrote:
> > > There is currently no locking implemented--KArm and KOrg clobber each
> > > other. I better fix this pre-3.2 or we will get a ton of bugs or people
> > > will just think things don't work right.
> >
> > Yep thats it.  How do other apps handle it, kconsolecalender for example.
>
> I took a quick look at the source of konsolekalendar and I don't see any
> locking code.  Are you sure these don't clobber each other too?

I'm just making an assumption there, maybe they do clobber each other.

> > Would it be a worthwhile idea to make the libkcal layer work like a
> > service and all the front ends send messages to the klibcal layer instead
> > of writeing to the file?
>
> I don't know.

If I understand right this is how databases work (Mysql, m$ SQL server, etc)
the sql server reads in the database file and then handles all the record
locking/conflicts.  I'm not much of a programmer but I think doing similar
would work the only difference would be it would respond to DCOP instead of a
network port (could make it listen on a network port as well, share your
calendar).  Basically make the libkcal start up when any app calls it, then
it reads the ical file and does the communicating with the applications.
Each application would make the dcop calls and those would trigger the
the libkcal service instead of the app reading the calendar file.