List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Sony Clie NZ90
From:       Adriaan de Groot <adridg () cs ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2003-10-30 21:34:51

On Thursday 30 October 2003 06:51, Herbert Fritsch wrote:
> First the version:
>
> Version: KPilot 4.3.10 (BRANCH)
> Version: pilot-link 0.11.8

OK, let's try a little experiment. See, I haven't tried pilot-link 0.11.8 at
all with KPilot ,so just maybe that's whats causing it.

On second thought, let's _not_ try an experiment, but keep in mind that 0.11.8
might be incompatible with KPilot. It's happened before, it could happen
again.

> Version: KDE 3.1.4
> Version: Qt 3.2.1

That's a slightly odd combination, but it's probably what your distro
delivers, so it must be OK. (Me, a build-from-source guy, I use only Qt x.y
for KDE x.y).

> 06:15:51  HotSync wird durchgeführt.Bitte HotSync-Knopf drücken.
>
> This when I've pressed the button at the  Clie device:
>
> 06:17:10  Device link ready.

In principle, you dont need to click on anything in KPilot - just click on the
hotsync button (or press it) on the Clie. But we've pretty much gone over
this before: the pilot isn't sending data that KPilot needs to set off the
sync, and both sides end up waiting till the Clie times out and hangs up.

> and finally the result of pilot-xfer:
>
> Listening to port: /dev/ttyUSB1
>
>    Please press the HotSync button now...
>
> but I have already pressed the HotSync button or It always tells me this
> after I've pressed the button before always: device not found. Thats
> weired.

Like I've said before, timing is everything :) But by now, you've tried lots
of times, and I would have expected that it would work with pilot-xfer at
least once in all those tries. Have you tried asking the pilot-link people?
DOn't take that as a brush-off; rather, w8ithout pilot-xfer working reliably,
KPilot is doomed.

Note that

http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/273/2003/5/0/10463832/

mentions other problems with the NZ90 and JPilot (which is also pilot-link
based, IIRC).

> So we have two languages saying the same. Maybe there is the problem? Half
> German half English? In KPilot: "HotSync wird durchgeführt.Bitte
> HotSync-Knopf drücken". In pilot-xfer:"Please press the HotSync button
> now..."

Nah. Having languages messed up is just confusing for the user, not for the
program.

As far as I'm concerned, though, right now we're at a stage where I say "gee,
I don't know". It's going to take a bunch of fingerspitzengefuhl to get this
right. One thing I'm going to suggest, though, is to _downgrade_ pilot-link
to 0.11.7.