List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] RE: Status of the KOrganizer Exchange 2000 plugin
From:       "Best, Jan-Pascal van" <j.p.vanbest () tbm ! tudelft ! nl>
Date:       2003-10-21 9:58:49

Hi Daniel,

> The trouble is that we have freeze soon and I wonder if basic
> working exchange support it is a realistic goal for KDE 3.2.

Not sure about that - but I did some more tries and it seems that
most of the trouble is in the configuration. The control panel applet
for calendar resources isn't working and you cannot set the default
resource (to which to write new appointments) using only the KOrganizer
GUI. By closing down KDE (just KOrganizer won't do) and manually editing
~/.kdehead/share/config/kcalrc I've set the default resource to Herkules.
Now it saves newly entered appointments to your Exchange server by default,
so that part at least works.

By the way, we're not talking about the plugin - this is about the Exchange
resource, which should give a transparant use of Exchange-based calendars. The
plugin was just for testing the communication with the exchange server, and for
getting something out with KDE 3.1 which didn't have resources yet.

According to me the following things will need to be done before we can
ship with Exchange support:
- Add a "port" configuration parameter for exchange resources
- Fix the configuration hanging when it cannot connect to a
  calendar
- Fix the Control Centre configuration panel for Calendars (might be
  a local problem for me)
- Make it possible to set a calendar as "default" for korganizer.
  The concept of "default calendar" may be local to korganizer, or global
  for all apps?
- Make it possible to move an appointment from one resource to another.
	- Maybe by showing the resource in the appointment details dialog,
	  and changing it from there
	- Or by drag-and-drop from the calendar to the resource list
	- (or both)
- Implement CalendarResources::incidenceUpdated so that edited events
  are also updated on the server
- Handle changes in the calendar on the server while KOrganizer is running:
  new events, changed events, deleted events (that is what the ExchangeMonitor is for).
  If we cant use the UDP callbacks, maybe poll every x minutes.
- Don't show as many "Downloading" dialogs when starting up or moving the calendar.
  I thing we now show one for every week that week look into, that should not
  be necessary.

How about this for a working list? I'd like to hear your comments.

Cheers,

Jan-Pascal