List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] A few suggestions I come come up with.
From:       "Eugene Nine" <enine () ninefamily ! com>
Date:       2003-09-16 16:56:05

From: Mark Bucciarelli <mark@easymailings.com>
Date:  Tue, 16 Sep 2003 11:40:29 -0400

> On Tuesday 16 September 2003 11:03 am, Eugene Nine wrote:
> [...]
> > 4. I would like to see the Karm functions integarted with the Korganizer,
> > could be as simple as adding the start/stop clock to the calendar entries.
> > I see in the mailing list archives there is some work on thsi already.
>
> In KDE 3.2 (beta release the end of this month), KArm will be able to open and
> edit the same file that KOrganizer uses, which is the first step towards
> integration.  As Cornelius said, please log a wishlist bug for adding
> start/stop clock to KOrganizer.  I guess you should file it against KArm
> (unless you can do both KArm and KOrganizer).  That way, things get filed and
> not lost.
>
> As far as helping, using the software is an easy first step.  If you have
> enough disk space, you can set up a seperate user for CVS head and test the
> latest and greatest while having a stable release installed as well. Sept
> 30th is the beta release, so you hopefully, you won't lose data, but there
> are no guarantees.  Best to use test data ...
>
> If this sounds feasible for you, check out the recent posts on the kde-devel
> list, there's been a flurry of activity on a newbies guide to building KDE
> from CVS.
>
> I would be interested in any KArm feedback you have, although after Sept.
> 30th, I can't add features--only fix bugs.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark

I looked at Karm and thought that would be useful if it were integrated, but haven't \
used it yet due to it being seperate.  I tried the same with outlook once, using its \
journal to keep track of a few phone calls and such.  Then I had to add my extra \
fields into the journal form and would then have to search in both to find something, \
it was just simpler in the long run to use the caneldar as a journal.  It sounds like \
Karm is going the right way, if it will be able to open the same calendar file, then \
it will just be a seperate front end to the same data (unlike outlook where even \
though all the data is in the same pst file, each task/appointment/journal entry is \
stored seperate).  I'm definatly using the calendar functions now, I have all my data \
from outlook copied over and create enrties each day for work I do (I have to report \
it to my manager here, fill our a project tracking report here, fill out a weekly \
timesheet to the consulting company, and fill out a monthly timesheet here as well, \
so I take my calendar data and generate each sheet based off of it, now I just nee \
dto figure out how to do it automated).  I haven't tried any CVS stuff yet but as \
soon as I get some more data copied over from my XP partition I can shrink it and \
make some more space.  I am assuming the CVS is something like M$ visual source safe \
where it keeps track of versions of code and such.  I have been away from the Linux \
world for a while, last time I ran linux was slackware 2.0 on a 386, but started back \
a year or so ago when we setup a nagios box on redhat for a monitoring system.  There \
weren't a lot of apps back then, but having recently installed RH9 I see Linux has \
lot more.

Sent via the HostPortal WebMail system at ninefamily.com