List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] Re: LDAP lookups in KMail address lines
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-1?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-09-07 21:03:23

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 05 September 2003 20:36, Darrell Esau wrote:
> It seems that currently KMail (version 1.5.3) will look in LDAP (if
> you've configured an LDAP resource for Address Book to use).  It
> seems to be working, however (unless I've configured something
> incorrectly) it's totally useless when using an LDAP server with a
> large number of entries (~40,000).
>
> When typing a name in the 'To' box in KMail, the autocompletion
> triggers a lookup event through kaddressbook.. this process locks
> kmail until it returns.  This process seems to be retrieving _every_
> entry from the LDAP server, which would take hours, if not days.
>
> Am I correct in my observations?  If so -- are there any plans to
> implement this so that it just does a lookup based on the text that's
> entered, instead of pulling the entire LDAP tree into a local
> storage?
>
> I believe Bug #56534 is requesting this, but it doesn't look like
> anyone has done anythign with it.

That's more of a question for the kdepim guys. I thought that LDAP
lookups in KDE 3.1 would only happen if they are executed explicitely
in KAddressBook but not during autocompletion exactly for the reason
you give above (much too slow in case of large directories). Tobias?
Cornelius? Is this correct or am I wrong?

Regards,
Ingo