List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] Planned fixes for KOrganizer in KDE 3.2
From:       Reinhold Kainhofer <reinhold () kainhofer ! com>
Date:       2003-09-06 12:46:05

Finally, I'm back again online after a week without internet and CVS access.
I did several patches/bug fixes, and also went through the bug list and
thought about what absolutely needs to be fixed in KOrganizer for KDE 3.2.
Please comment on the following items (e.g. propose other issues which need to
be fixed, but I missed). I think we can fix all of these before the release
(all of these are bug fixes, or are parts of features mentioned in the
feature plan).

NECESSARY / critical:
================

1) Fix KOrganizer's session management (bug:49356)
Also, I think we should have a menu item "Open standard calendar" (maybe needs
to be better worded). Currently, you have to start a new KOrganizer to get
the resource calendar.

2) Update kalarmd to use CalendarResources instead of active calendar config
entries (would also fix bug:41113, bug:52027 and bug:53967)

3) Complete undo support (bug:60760). Currently cutting/pasting, moving,
checking todos finished, moving a todo to a subtodo and deleting todo items
do not have undo.

4) Fix KOrganizer's dcop interface. In particular, KOrganizerIface is deleted
as soon as one KOrganizer window is closed.

5) recurrence editor: always use the day when the event starts as the
recurrence day instead of having the user choose the details of the
recurrence (e.g. if you create a weekly recurring event on a Monday,
automatically check the Monday box and don't let the user uncheck it. Also,
if the event's start day is moved to Tuesday, move the recurrence to Tuesday.
Same for monthly and yearly recurrences.). This fixes several usability bugs
(e.g. bug:54074)

6) smooth integration into kontact

7) Dragging an event or todo item to the day matrix crashes KOrganizer
sometimes (bug:53854, crash occurs in X code, valgrind didn't reveal any
problem).

8) Currently, when you create a new (empty) calendar, it is automatically
marked modified, which is not true. This should also be fixed.

OPTIONAL / non-critical fixes:
======================

9) Moving events that go over midnight, and do not cut an event if it would go
over midnight after moving (bug:62770 and bug:62767).

10) Show the correct recurring event in reminders, not the very first event of
the recurrence (bug:56805)

11) Finish the printing system:
   -) fix color printing (currently, every color is printed black), bug:60476
   -) correctly identify conflicting events and do not let one overwrite the
other (bug:40680)

12) Move "get hot new stuff" to a better menu position, and allow to create a
network resource instead of merging it into the local calendar file
(bug:60954, bug:60951, bug:60955)

13) fix problems with military time format (as system default) with the event
editor dialog (refuses to accept the correct format). bug:51789 and bug:43597

14) Allow Drag and Drop to reschedule an event in month view (bug:35164)

15) Do not have a default button in reminder dialog (reminders can
accidentally acknowledged when you are typing while the dialog pops up),
bug:31841

16) Dissociate single occurrence from a recurring event (bug:54949)

17) Use double click instead of single click to create an event in month view
(bug:55921)

18) The "Toggle alarm" menu item currently only turns alarms off, but never
on.

19) Better day labels in agenda view.
   -) tooltips for holiday labels (when they are too wide, they are just cut)
   -) show the weekday either for all events or for none at all
   -) in single-day mode, use long date string instead of "Sat 6"

20) Use tooltips also in month, list, what's next and project views

21) make the width of day columns in agenda view a float instead of rounded to
int (if you show many days, there is some space left on the right, and the
day labels are off by that amount).

COMMENTS:
=========

ad 1) As discussed in N7Y. I started some work on this, and I'd propose we let
the CalendarView do all the calendar management (which is currently done by
KOrganizer or the part). In particular, KOrganizer would no longer create the
calendar (not even have a pointer to it. It's not necessary, the CalendarView
has the pointer and KOrganizer can access it). Currently, the constructors of
KOrganizer and KOrganizerPart duplicate the whole code for creating the
resource calendar, so let's just move that code to CalendarView.
When session management tries to load the resource calendar, the CalendarView
would load it, and emit a setCalendar(Calendar*) signal, which is connected
to all views, which have a pointer to the calendar stored, or which need to
do some initialization/update with the new calendar.

I already started working on 1), 3), 9), 11), 14), 19), and 21), so some
patches might be ready in the near future.
I would also volunteer to tackle 5), 7), 8), 12), 17), 18) and 20), if needed,
maybe also 2).

Reinhold