List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Re: KArm & iCalendar
From:       Tami King <tiking () xtra ! co ! nz>
Date:       2003-08-17 21:29:10

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003, tomas pospisek wrote:

> That's what the autosave feature shold be for in theory. Doesn't it work
> for you? Or what problem do you encounter with it?

Autosave does work for total time, but I lose the session time
(obviously since I am starting a new session).  So if I worked 3 hours
and then crashed, when I start up again, I don't know what time I worked
prior to the crash.  At the end of the day, I don't know how many hours
I put in (if I crashed during the day) without having to pick it out of
the log file.  In the old timetracker program this wasn't an issue
because the data was stored in individual files for each day.  It was
also very easy to go back and adjust those files if I forgot to turn on
the tracker or more likely forgot to turn it off.

As you said in a prior post I probably just need an easy way to interact
with the log file.  I started to write a script to parse information out
of the log file, but then I joined this list and realized that there was
already working going on in that area.

When I first started my job I was getting paid by the hour and I needed
to know how many hours I spent each day to fill out my time sheets.  Now
I am salaried, I use karm to keep track of how many hours I work each
week.  On Monday morning, I copy the log and data files and then edit
the data file and set all of the total times to zero.  That way I have
some history of what I worked each week and I can use total time to tell
me how many hours I have in for the current week.  I still like knowing
how many hours I put on each day, though, but it isn't as critical.

The timesheet functionality that is being worked on, might give me all
of the information that I need.

Hope that helps,
Tami