List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] KitchenSync Status
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-07-31 23:18:42

Over the last couple of weeks I did some work on KitchenSync (and
successfully broke it ;-), so I would like to give a short status
report:

- The Konnector framework was ported to KResource. That means Konnectors
can now be created in the same way as calendar and addressbook
resources. The managing classes and configuration GUI framework are
provided by KResource. This make sit possible to remove some redundant
code.
- A debugger part has been added, which can be used to debug Konnectors
by sending commands and showing status information and results.
- A SyncerPart has been added which makes it possible to sync the data
from a selected set of Konnectors.
- KonnectorLocal has been added, which should be used to sync PIM data
files accessible by the local filesystem. Syncing multiple
KonnectorLocals in principle work, although there certainly are some
bugs.
- There still is a lot of old Konnector loading code around. This should
eventually be removed. This includes parts of MainWindow and
KonnectorManager as well as the KonnectorProfile and Kapabilites
classes. This all can be realized much simpler within the KResources
framework.
- The agenda, qtopia and threadedkonnector still aren't ported. They
currently are disabled from compilation. It's a high priority to port
and reenable them, though.
- Access to the KitchenSync core has been abstracted a bit into an
abstract Core interface class, which is used by the differen
KitchenSync parts.

Ther are a couple of things, which should be done before KDE 3.2 (and I
plan to do this, if possible. Help is of course welcome):

- Separate the KMainWindow specific code, the viewer widget code and the
KitchenSync Core code. This has to be done to be able to provide a
KitchenSync KPart which can be integrated into Kontact. I think this is
a very important step.
- Remove the obsolete Konnector loading code. This is superceded by the
KResource framework. It will still need some review to make sure that
no functionality is lost.
- Remove the Calendar and AddressBook Maipulator Parts and integrate
their functionality into the SyncerPart. They do what KitchenSync is
meant to avoid: Duplicating syncing code. Using the SyncerPart with a
KonnectorLocal and a device Konncetor should have the same effect.
- Continue and finish KonnectorRemote, which will allow to sync with all
files available via (remote) kioslaves. This will e.g. allow to sync a
calendar from a workstation at work with a calendar on a computer at
home.
- Reenable the Opie/Qtopia Konnector.