List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] KMail and GnuPG
From:       Martin Konold <martin.konold () erfrakon ! de>
Date:       2003-07-29 21:44:41

Am Dienstag, 29. Juli 2003 15:46 schrieb Bernhard Reiter:

Hi,

> On Monday 28 July 2003 22:06, Martin Konold wrote:
> > is definetly too difficult for normal users and requires a lot of
> > fiddling with the running system.

> Yes, a known problem.
> Packagers will have to make that easier.

Lets hope that packagers will understand how to solve this problem. Sofar most
packagers have not integrated Ägypten in their packages :-(

> It is very likely that they will, because the new Gnupg
> framework is a lot easier to access from other applications.

This is good to hear.

> Its design is more geared towards security.

I was always gear towards security but gpg is a very bad example with regards
to usability.

> > IMHO a unification of the security frameworks is really needed.
> > Maybe when gpg is fully featured this will be possiblle?!
>
> The new framework that has been mainly done with resources
> of the Ägypten project is a major step in that regard if you think about
> the whole world of Free Software.
> Unfortunately it will still take its time to have solutions for all of
> them.

Do you have an estimate how long it will take until gpg has all required
features in order to replace openssl.

> > AFAIK gpg basically only want to offer a commandline interface.
>
> The first goal of GnuPG is to be secure for E-Mail.
> It does a great job on that.
> Meanwhile there is the fourth generation of a library
> offering its functionality in development, called gpgme.

It looks like this "library" is GPL not LGPL. Is it possible to buy a
commercial license so that it can be used with Qt on Windows?

Regards,
-- martin

Dipl.-Phys. Martin Konold
e r f r a k o n
Nobelstrasse 15, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
fon: 0711 67400963, fax: 0711 67400959
email: martin.konold@erfrakon.de