List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Greetings from the Glow project
From:       Colm Smyth <colm.smyth () sun ! com>
Date:       2003-07-28 10:55:53

Hi Cornelius,

Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> Hi Colm,
>
> On Thursday 24 July 2003 18:07, Colm Smyth wrote:
>
>>KDE-PIM is one of the better known (and higher quality) groupware
>>client suites so I wanted to offer *greetings* from everyone
>>here at Glow, and to open the door for some discussions about
>>how our two projects could collaborate!
>

> It's good to see other groupware open source projects developing. That's
> an area where we are still lacking some solutions compared to
> proprietary systems. We are definitely interested in productive
> collaboration.
>

>>I would like to welcome you to drop by our site to
>>see where we are going; maybe we can brain-storm
>>here on e-mail about some ways that our projects
>>could co-operate?
>

> Group calendaring might be the top priority item here, because this
> isn't as well standardized as for example the email parts.

In terms of standards, I agree that calendaring is a good area for us to
collaborate.

> You mention a WCAP server on your site. Which server is that?

As you know, the offical CAP protocol has been stalled for
over 2 years now (at least no new draft has emerged
during that time).

WCAP is an iCalendar-based calendaring protocol, using XML-encoded
requests and responses. We have one commercial implementation
of it (Sun's calendar server, with a public server up and running
at http://socs.services.openoffice.org (try user "caltest1",
password "caltest1")) and one open-source implementation
is in progress (the http://opengroupware.org project).
The protocol is documented at
http://docs.sun.com/source/816-6416-10/pr10WCAP.html.

We are also interested in supporting CAP-related efforts,
such as http://www.opencap.org/html/. This one uses
BEEP for transport, nice protocol.

One problem we have found is that many services tend
to mix transport (the means to get messages from
server to client and back, e.g. HTTP or IMAP)),
the data standard (the schema or attributes that make
up the data, e.g. the set of attributes in rfc2445 or
rfc822) and the encoding (the way that the attributes
are encoded for transmission/reception, e.g.
iMIP). We are working to separate out these
different architectural layers for flexibility and
to make it easy to support a new combination
of protocols and standards).

 > Is there
> an open-source implementation of this protocol? Which other protocols
> are you considering to support? I think the lack of an open-source
> calendar server has hindered client development in the past. It would
> be really nice, if there would be some kind of standard for that which
> is accepted and implemented by different clients. Two candidates would
> be Kolab and OpenGroupware, another one would be a CAP based server,
> although I'm not aware of any working open-source server implementation
> of this protocol.

I talked with Bernhard Reiter before sending my previous mail;
we would also be interested in developing a calendaring
provider for the Kolab iCalendar-over-IMAP protocol.

> Another area where cooperation and interoperability testing might be
> very useful is peer-to-peer group scheduling with iMIP. Are you
> planning to support that?

Yes; it is not clear from the Kolab architecture documents, but
I assume that the Kroupware/Kolab iCalendar-over-IMAP is close
to iMIP.

> I didn't find anything about contact management on your website. What
> are you planning to support in this area? I suspect LDAP would be the
> natural solution. Here we might want to discuss interoperability of
> LDAP schemes.

Yes; our next release in mid August will include Contacts support;
we will support LDAP, Mozilla, Outlook and Windows addressbooks.
We are adopting the Mozilla addressbook schema as our primary one,
but we intend to support multiple schemata (via attribute-mapping)
for Contacts.

I have a request to make - would it be possible for Glow to use some
of the icons in kde-pim? Right now we have some really awful ones.

Colm.