List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] Greetings from the Glow project
From:       Colm Smyth <colm.smyth () sun ! com>
Date:       2003-07-24 16:07:00

Hi to everyone at KDE-Pim!

My name is Colm Smyth, I lead the Glow groupware client project
on OpenOffice.org. We are a relatively new project, 100%
open-source (LGPL), using Java and aiming to initially provide
group calendaring, mail, IM and web folders. Our web-site
is just starting to be put in place at
http://groupware.openoffice.org/glow/.

KDE-PIM is one of the better known (and higher quality) groupware
client suites so I wanted to offer *greetings* from everyone
here at Glow, and to open the door for some discussions about
how our two projects could collaborate!

I know KDE-PIM supports UNIX/X11, including Mac OS;
because we're using Java, we will also support Windows
which might be of interest to some folks who use KDE-PIM
but sometimes need to use Windows.

We use different implementation technologies, but at least a few
possibilities that might work are to collaborate on:
- supported open standards & formats
- ui design (not to copy, just to share ideas)
- ui messages & translations
- graphic art

On the translations topic, we will make all of our ui
message resources available to the public in a
convenient XML format, so it should be easy to create some
tools that could import our translations into your
UI resource file (Sun will localize Glow into
at least 10 languages, and since we want to make Glow
available with OpenOffice.org, we will probably
do several more).

I spoke with Bernhard Reiter of the Kolab project this
morning, we would also be interested in later developing
a calendar provider for Glow based around the Kolab server's
iCalendar-over-IMAP interface.

I would like to welcome you to drop by our site to
see where we are going; maybe we can brain-storm
here on e-mail about some ways that our projects
could co-operate?

Again, best wishes from everyone here on the Glow
project and I wish you all well with your ongoing
development!

Colm.