List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] the infinite cvs update/make/configure cycle
From:       Adriaan de Groot <adridg () cs ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2003-06-29 18:43:41

On Sunday 29 June 2003 16:13, tomas pospisek wrote:
> Now my problem is this - compilation of kdelibs takes about 2-3 days on
> my 1.2G, 256M laptop. This includes checking the compile every now and
> then and fixing compile bugs.

In some sense, join the club. Anyone working on HEAD is bound to have these
problems. 2 days is a bit excessive though - slow disk, I'll warrant.

> After I'm finally done with that I start compiling korganizer which takes
> maybe 24h only to find out that in the meanwhile korganizer depends on
> some new feature in kdelibs.

So do a cvs co kdelibs kdepim/korganizer and get a checkout that is at least
(well, probably) consistent at the moment you check it out.

> Repeat from start. (and I've not mentioned arts yet!)

Why would you need to mention arts? Even HEAD only requires
ARTS_1_1_0_RELEASE. Which is the last arts to actually compile on non-glib
systems, anyway (not that that's relevant to _you_, anyway).

> supermachine I'll (probably) not be able to follow development, which
> means giving up on karm.

Get real. Get a checkout from one point in time, fix stuff, then merge. You
may not be able to compile the stuff after the merge until you get a new
kdelibs, but that's life. Or, you could work in BRANCH, then merge.

> There *seems* to be a way to not compile everything, but a) it does not
> seem to be documented and b) it's tricky because stuff is _very_
> interdependend.

It's called cd arelevantdirectory ; make && make install. You should be able
to detect what part of libs has advanced out from under you and just update
and build that. Yes, there's recursion. No, it's not fun.

--
pub  1024D/FEA2A3FE 2002-06-18 Adriaan de Groot <groot@kde.org>
     Key fingerprint = 934E 31AA 80A7 723F 54F9  50ED 76AC EE01 FEA2 A3FE