List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim]  [RFC] libkmobile - A Universal Mobile Devices
From:       Helge Deller <deller () gmx ! de>
Date:       2003-04-24 6:03:46

On Wednesday 23 April 2003 11:50 am, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, [iso-8859-1] André Somers wrote:
> > On Wednesday 23 April 2003 07:47, Helge Deller wrote:
> > > Think about my mobile phone. I come with my mobile phone to your
> > > laptop, it's automatically detected, we drag 3 different
> > > phonebook-entries from it into your addressbook and ignore all others.
> > > With kitchensync you would
> >
> > If these are the sort of things you are thinking about, wouldn't it be
> > better if you made this stuff in the form of KIO slaves? This would allow
> > you to drag & drop vcards for addressbook entries, mp3 files from/to your
> > mp3 player, etc., all within the familiar interface of konqueror. Other
> > programs, even existing ones, can easily make use of that interface.
>
> Speaking purely from a Palm OS (tm) point of view, this doesn't work
> because it's the _Pilot_ that initiates a connection and hangs up
> afterwards. So you can do some copying after hitting the sync button, but
> after that the pilot is gone again. Keeping the pilot awake by tickling it
> is considered rude because you'll chew up the batteries like that.

I think many devices has such a bottleneck. On my mobile phone I
have to select "enable IRDA" too, and then this connection stays open
at least for 3-5 minutes.
I can think at least of two ways to help solving this problem nicer:
a) pop up a messagebox to ask the user to switch it on (he selected to connect
to the device by hand, so he can just do it, or press the Cancel button).
b) always cache the last contents you once read/wrote to the device.
Then show those contents and update this cache in the background. If a data-type
has been deleted from the device, then the user will get an errorcode like NOTFOUND.

Regards,
Helge