List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim]  [RFC] libkmobile - A Universal Mobile Devices
From:       Helge Deller <deller () gmx ! de>
Date:       2003-04-23 5:54:52

On Monday 21 April 2003 09:40 pm, Holger Freyther wrote:
> Ok now commenting on the API.
>
> I think it is a step backwards of what KitchenSync provides todays ( and
> yes the architecture works for many people in real life )
>
> Ok what your API lacks is missing:
> 	- handling of progress
> 	- GUI dependant whereas libkonnector2 can be used by konsolekalendar
> 	- isn't flexible The KitchenSync Syncee/SyncEntry ( by Cornelius ) is
> flexible in contrast and works. It adds extra bits for syncing but these
> things do not need to be used
> 	- handling of errors
> 	- handling of authentication ( should be done by the GUI config dialog? )
>  	- Capabilities aren't extendable without recompiling
> 	- Devices either
>         - complete synchronus. If using kio-rio one would need to use
> KIO::NetAccess or other tricks( ok I use it myself too... so I shut up )
> 	- is UDSEntry enough? Modern PDA devices try to hide the FS
>
> why slotMessage and no signals?
>
> ok that is pretty much my input on the API. I think it is not as flexible
> as libkonnector and libksync and doesn't add much ( FileStorage Stuff ) to
> it.

Most of your ideas are valid.
The header file I attached was just a proposal. It's interface has to be short
(to make writing plugins easy) and limited. All GUI stuff doesn't belong to
the hardware-driver (what KMobileDevice intends to be), but will move into
a higher layer.

Compare it with the current way printers are used in KDE.
You select "Print..." then you'll see a Dialog to select the printer (drivers).

Compared to the printer-interface KMobileDevice is the hardware-printer driver.
Above this one I plan to write a (e.g.) KMobileManager or KMobileFactory class,
which handles the GUI and the loading of the KMobileDevice drivers. It shows a
Dialog with all currently configured devices, let the user select one and then the
user just presses "go".
The application will get a *KMobileDevice pointer and can now directly
use it to access the mobile device. For this the above interface should have
the most necessary functions.

Regards,
Helge