List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] karm logging restructure
From:       Mark Bucciarelli <mark () easymailings ! com>
Date:       2003-04-15 11:38:12

Right now, karm log events are triggered from the task methods
themselves; for example, setTotalTime.  Because of this, when you
change the total time of a child task, it logs the change for that
task as well as all the parent tasks.

For example, if you have this task hierarchy:

personal
	kde
		karm hacking

and you added 10 minutes to the "karm hacking" task, you will have log
entries something like this:

<new_session_time task="personal/kde/karm hacking" change="10" />
<new_session_time task="personal/kde" change="10" />
<new_session_time task="personal" change="10" />

The extra log lines don't add any information and make the log parsing
more complicated because knowing what lines to ignore depends on what
came before or after them.

I think it makes more sense to have one log entry for each event,
which in this example would be:

<new_session_time task="personal/kde/karm hacking" change="10" />

So .... I would like to move the triggers from the task methods to the
section in karm.cpp that runs the add dialog.  Something like this:

oldtask = task.clone()
// run addDialog
oldtask.logChanges(task)

Any objections or comments?

Mark

P.S. If oldtask is a local variable in the above snippet, I don't need
to release it's memory, right?