List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] KABC::AddressBook for single vcard file (NOT in StdAddressbook)
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-03-26 23:12:58

On Wednesday 26 March 2003 19:26, Tobias Koenig wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 05:24:45PM +0100, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> > On Wednesday 26 March 2003 15:34, Tobias Koenig wrote:
> > > Most users make the mistake, to use resources as different,
> > > logical separated addressbooks. But resources are only a layer to
> > > allow transparent access to different data sources.
> >
> > Why should this be a mistake? For a user it is a perfectly
> > reasonable assumption that address books which are physically
> > separated in different files also are logical separated. At least
> > it should be possible to show this separation in the GUI.
>
> No, IMHO not...
> For separation in the GUI categories should be used.

Categories have to be assigned. The information which resource an entry
belongs to is already there. I agree that categories are more flexible
and powerful to make logical separations int he address book. But the
resources already present a kind of separation, so it would be stupid
to throw away this information and recreate it using something built on
top of categories.

> > From a developers point of view it also definitely makes sense to
> > have separated address book objects. Syncing is one example.
>
> Hmm, the apple guys make it without it, so it should be possible at
> all...

How do the apple guys implement syncing?

> > > The logical separation should be implemented with categories...
> >
> > This isn't always possible. If you have two read-only resources
> > (e.g. addressbooks of other people) you can't make the separation
> > when the only way is to edit categories.
>
> You can't write back the categories, but we could make it possible to
> set the categorie at load time.

Which would mean duplicating the information which resource an entry
belongs to. Doesn't sound clean and simple ;-)