List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] PATCH: Kontact/Kaplan release report
From:       Don Sanders <sanders () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-12-23 6:43:29

I'm very close to releasing Kontact now!

I attach patches to libkdepim, kaddressbook, korganizer,
kontact/kaplan and kmailcool.

The libkdepim, kaddressbook, korganizer and kaplan changes are against
KDE_3_1_BRANCH, they rename kaplan to kontact as discussed and enable
kaddressbook and korganizer to work well in kontact (and still work
well outside kontact).

Note in addition to the diff there are new actionmanager.cpp and
actionmanager.h files for korganizer, and in kaplan/src *kaplan*.png
are renamed to *kontact*.png and Kaplan.desktop is renamed to
Kontact.desktop.

The kmailcool changes are against
http://kmailcool.org/kmailcool-1.6.tgz

The KOrganizer changes are quite large, I did run into one problem I
had trouble with the menu merging for KOrganizer plugins when
KOrganizer is used as a KPart so I had to create a new file->plugins
menu item (which is only used in Kontact). I also had to make
KOrg::MainWindow a pure virtual interface and have the KOrganizer
part inherit this interface, KOrg::MainWindow really should be
renamed something else now.

I intend to release Kontact in two days if I can get any feedback it
would be very welcome. I will release on kontact.org if I can release
on kontact.kde.org too that would be great.

I'm also about to put some preliminary content on voteawish.org, this
website will be focussed on raising money to buy a computer running
KDE for orphans in a school in Cambodia (see
http://www.futurelight.org/). I plan to do this by allowing people to
donate money towards a particular feature (by bug#) in the KDE bug
database, once a developer implements the requested feature donors
can verify the implementation is good and donate the money to the
welfare of the orphans or request their money back.

I think we only need a few hundred dollars/euros to buy a KDE computer
for these kids, and it's even possible one day through the power of
free software / open source they'll be able to contribute back to
KDE. (But we might need to improve the KDE khmer translations first).

Kontact.org and possibly the Kontact application itself will link to
voteawish.org.

If there are no objections I'll update the patches so that they apply
against HEAD and post those updated patches. Hopefully some variation
of these patches can be applied to HEAD.

Don Sanders / sanders@kde.org
KMail Cool  Co-founder / kmailcool.org
KMail  Adopter / kmail.kde.org
KDE PIM  Co-founder / kdepim.org
KAddressbook  Founder / kaddressbook.org
KDE  Contributor / kde.org

["kontact.tar.bz2" (application/x-tbz)]