List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] location for resource framework
From:       Tobias Koenig <tokoe () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-12-02 10:49:33

On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 09:20:07AM +0100, Best, Jan-Pascal van wrote:
Hi Jan-Pascal,

> > Ok then we should move it to kdelibs/kabc/resources/
> > Is the code in kdepim/libkdepim/resources the most up to date one?
> No, it's not. I'll update it with the latest code. We move it later
> to kdelibs/kabc/resources.
>
> Most important changes:
>
> - ResourceManager objects communicate via DCOP to keep each other up to
> date.
> E.g., if you add a calendar resource in KControl, then the
> ResourceManager
> of KOrganizer would be updated automatically. Since ResourceManager is a
> template
> class and as such cannot emit signals, an app has to register as a
> ManagerListener to learn about this update.
>
> - ResourceManager is no longer a singleton. This is no longer necessary
> since
> the DCOP messaging solves the problem better.
>
> - The "fastResource" property of resources has been removed.
Sounds really cool :)
When will we port libkabc to this framework (Conrelius?)?

BTW I talked with Cornelius about some improvements concerning the
resources, to provide a syncron interface for asyncrone resources.
We came to the conclusion, that some resources will be loaded by default
at the startup of the application, and other resources can be used to search
explecitely for entries (in a search dialog like for LDAP in
kaddressbook). So the user have to decide at runtime which resources
should be activated and which not. For that reason the 'activating code'
should be moved from the KControlCenter to the applications in form of a
dialog in the library.

Ciao,
Tobias
--