List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] libkcal amendments for email alarms
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-11-29 23:02:37

On Friday 29 November 2002 23:36, David Jarvie wrote:

> I want to store some statuses which I have previously encoded as a
> prefix to the alarm text in the description property, in order to
> make the description a plain text and to adhere better to the spirit
> of RFC2445. There are likely to be 4 or so statuses including
> repeat-at-login and cancel-if-late statuses which KAlarm needs to
> record in order to know when or if to output certain alarms. I intend
> storing all the statuses applicable to any particular alarm in a list
> held in a single custom property.

Are these really attributes of the alarm itself? Aren't these rather
user preferences associated with certain alarms?

Take for example an alarm for starting the daily backup. For a system
administrator who is responsible for actually performing the backup a
cancel-if-late status is certainly not appropriate. For a user which
just wants to get notified, when the backup takes place, such a status
would be very useful. If you store the status as part of the alarm, it
isn't possible for both, the system administrator and the user to share
the same iCalendar data.