List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] the goal of kaplan
From:       Don Sanders <sanders () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-11-02 10:26:12

On Saturday 02 November 2002 20:12, Don Sanders wrote:
> > I can't see how you can add a contact to a filter (virtual
> > folder, search) since the members are found by comparing fields
> > from the contact table to conditions.
>
> You're right you can't, and that's a good point. But it should be
> trivial to solve, all I want is a common base class for Filter and
> Category, is there a name for such a concept? Maybe 'Class'? Or
> maybe Category should inherit from Filter?

I guess the word 'View' is what I'm looking for.

And when I think about it LDAP queries are also just a kind of view.
So Categories, Filters and LDAP queries could all be considered
Views.

I hope the LDAP API can be used to implement my efficient API (which
just requires getting the count of items that match a query and
getting element i when sorting by field x). That would provide a nice
efficient generalization for LDAP queries also.

Don.