List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Bug in libkcal: Too many attendees in REPLY VEVENTs
From:       Guenter Schwann <schwann () icg ! tu-graz ! ac ! at>
Date:       2002-10-18 13:12:34

On Friday 18 October 2002 13:23, Matthias Kalle Dalheimer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have found an ugly bug in libkcal which can lead to KOrganizer not
> recognizing its own answers:

KOrganizer always appends only one ATTENDEE in REPLY messages [look at
calendarview:schedule(...)]. So it should always be able to handle it's
own answers. Maybe Outlook's answers cause some troubles (I don't know).

> RFC 2446 specifies very clearly (in section 3.2.3) that METHOD:REPLY
> iCals may only contain _exactly one_ ATTENDEE entry; the one for whom
> the answer is valid (as opposed to METHOD:REQUEST iCals which of course
> may contain many ATTENDEE entries). However, libkcal always writes out
> all attendees it has in the Event object. But when receiving such an
> answer, libical's
> restriction-checking code will (rightfully) refuse the incoming iCal,
> because it has more than one ATTENDEE. Therefore, KOrganizer will not
> process it.

You are right, that KOrganizer should even handel this case (even that it
shouldn't happen).

> Fixing this in libkcal is more difficult than it looks at first, because
> there are currently absolutely no provisions for decisions based on the
> method used. In ICalFormatImpl::writeIncidence() which writes out the
> attendees, the method is not known at all.
>
> I would appreciate comments from the libkcal authors about how to fix
> this. It appears to me that libkcal (or rather, the classes ICalFormat
> and ICalFormatImpl) would need to be changed quite substantially in
> order to fix this and possibly other problems.

I don't know if you can call me a libkcal "author" but here my comment:

Currently I'm waiting for libical 0.24 (final) to have closer look at the
changes since 0.23. As far as I know there are some bugfixes (handling
Outlook-compatibility for example), the timezone part has changed a lot
(something important that is missing in libkcal currently [RFC 2445
4.8.5.4]), there is now a C++ and python wrapper, ...
So I expect a major rewrite of libkcal when we switch to 0.24 (for KDE
3.2?)

> For the Kroupware project, I have implemented a workaround that clones
> the event and removes all the attendees except the one who is answering.

I guess that's what you do for incoming events. And I don't see a "fast"
solution, as libical 0.24 should be released soon (was expected since
weeks...)

ciao
- --
Guenter Schwann
Graz University of Technology - Computer Graphics and Vision
GPG-key: http://www.sbox.tugraz.at/home/v/vogel/gpg-schwann-public-key.txt