List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] the goal of kaplan
From:       Tobias Koenig <tokoe () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-10-16 11:09:58

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 10:48:50AM +0200, Anders Lund wrote:
> On Monday 14 October 2002 11:57, Tobias Koenig wrote:
Hi,

> > No good idea. If we'll use real data instead of QStrings we'll have to
> > write converter (data<->string) because we have to make sure, that the data
> > can be stored in a vCard or LDAP tree. This converter has to be put into a
> > layer above libkabc, since moving this code to the lib would make the lib
> > bloating and difficult to extend.
>
> On the other hand, if each application wanting to use a binary format of a
> data would have to provide it's own conversion, we would easily get
> inconsistensy, and bloat too.
We can only store entities that exists in the vCard specification.
Please keep that in mind!

> Plus, it the addressbook knows what kind of
> data a field should contain, it can help promoting that (by checking and
> providing a proper input widget).
Exactly, and then somebody comes and want a wounderfull listview input widget
with green columns and red rows...
We can't provide all input widget in the lib, so we shouldn't start with such
exceptions!
Text/Date input is enough.

> > We'll add it in 3.2 again but i would vote for string-only fields.
> > (Ok, maybe time fields, but no more types, because you can input everything
> > as string)
>
> many applications may want to use booleans, numeric types etc. See above.
The user puts in a '1' or 'false' and the code which use this input
have to convert it to a integer or whatever it needs. This converting
is really not part of the library.

Ciao,
Tobias
--