List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] the goal of kaplan
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-10-14 23:47:59

On Tuesday 15 October 2002 01:03, Anders Lund wrote:

> > In all cases the data should be stored separately from the standard
> > address book. With the unique IDs and the change signals from the
> > AddressBook class it's easy to relate data to the addressees of
> > libkabc. The distribution lists are an example for this concept.
>
> I think this stresses the fact that the usage of the .vcf format is
> problematic. If storing data related to contacts in it is a problem,
> something is fundamentally wrong, and using a format suitable for
> that task and exporting vcards on request would be the clever
> solution.

I don't think that this is a problem of the format. You could express
everything you want about contacts in vCard. The problem with complex
data is that storing this into plain files isn't very efficient, you
would need a real database. This is no problem for people really
needing that degree of complexity, but for most of the KDE users the
address book is just a small and simple app for storing some names
associated with emails, phone numbers, mail addresses and maybe a bit
more, in most cases probably less.

A database backend is certainly not appropriate for a leightweight
address book app as KAddressBook should be, so I'm quite sure that the
current solution is the right one. We have the standard information
written as simple files in the standard vCard format and everything
else we can easily add without compromising efficiency for the average
user.