List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] KABC Addresses
From:       Anders Lund <temp_and () tiscali ! dk>
Date:       2002-10-06 22:02:22

On Lørdag den 5. oktober 2002 17:41, Tobias Koenig wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 11:19:29PM +0200, Anders Lund wrote:
> > On Torsdag den 3. oktober 2002 10:05, Tobias Koenig wrote:
>
> Hi Anders,
>
> > > Oh an other idea, we could do a time journey back to the year when
> > > RFC2426 was discussed and request for a ISO code field in the address
> > > structure ;)
> >
> > Well, I thought about asking if we ever did that.
>
> No, but I fear releasing an additional RFC won't force all the other PIM
> applications to use this new standard.
>
> > If we did, and got no reaction, would it be rude to do so again?
>
> No, you can extend the RFC and publish it. Maybe it will be excepted by
> enough other people.

I see. I thought the vCard standard was maintained by some kind of group. In
that case, maybe we should simply start using the ISO code field in
anticipation of general accept, and write at least friendly PIM app
developers (ximian) to encourage usage?

> > Another idear from someone very little familliar with vCard: add a
> > "X-isocountrycode" property or something to the address data, and let
> > users choose from a list of countries. In that case we have the property
> > available for addresses entered through kaddressbook.
>
> That would be a way, but it lacks when somebody send your a to an email
> attached vCard that was generated by an other PIM application that doesn't
> use this extension.

Yes, I understand that is is not the greatest solution, but as I see it we can
either give up on localized address formatting or start using it the best we
can:-)

-anders