List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] KAddressBook GUI design issues
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-10-02 23:52:44

On Tuesday 01 October 2002 23:43, Tobias Koenig wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 01:28:16AM +0200, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> >
> > The nested tabs as they are now are horrible. We can't release
> > KAddressBook before fixing this problem.
>
> Hmm, isn't it a bit late to come up with this?

Errm, that's a usability bug and from what I have read on the list
nobody thought that this would be the solution going into the release.
In addition to that the feature bar feature was introduced way after
the feature freeze. I don't think that's bad because there came some
much needed stuff with it and we should be able to cope with the
problems in the remaining time.

> Ok, where is the patch :)

In this case I don't think that a patch is the solution because we first
have to agree on the fundamental principles how to organize the quick
edit, the embedded distribution list editor the detailed view and the
standard view.

I can make a patch, if you like, though ;-)

> > We really should provide the distributon list editor also as
> > dialog.
>
> I've removed it before one week and nobody objected!
> Could we at last come to a conclusion now??

Removing working stuff is always a bad idea. The conclusion, I think, is
to provide both, the embedded editor as well as the dialog.

> > Conclusion: the embedded version and the dialog version should be
> > based on the same code.
>
> It's a bit late for implementing it before the release since it has
> to be tested. Should the dialog have the same API like the one in the
> feature bar? Should the code moved to libkabc again?

The code for the editor is in libkabc, I have no problem with an
alternative implementation of the GUI as long as the basic (non-GUI)
code for managing the distribution lists is shared. As this seems to be
the case we are fine for the 3.1 release. After that we might think
about combining the classes a bit more.