List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] KAddressBook GUI design issues
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-10-02 23:14:01

On Tuesday 01 October 2002 15:14, Mirko Boehm wrote:
> <Zitiere wer="Cornelius Schumacher">
>
> > On Monday 30 September 2002 21:59, Anders Lund wrote:
> >> * It does not display all its controls correctly if the
> >> kaddressbook window hasn't got quite a size. It should claim the
> >> space it requires to display correctly, or alternatively provide
> >> optional scrollbars like kcm modules, though that is not really a
> >> good solution.
> >
> > Hmm, I can't reproduce any problem with misdisplayed controls. The
> > quick does claim enough space to display correct.
>
> Anders is right.
>
> I do not know what GUI style and fonts you guys use, but I use either
> a 19 or a 21 inch display and the quickedit most of the time does
> simply not display all its contents, nor does it use scrollbars (due
> to the layout management used).
>
> I posted a message some time ago stating that quickedit is basically
> not usable at 800x600 or below, even with a maximized kaddressbook.
> Or as a dialog.

See the attached screenshot. That's the minimal size of the KAddressBook
main window with more or less the standard KDE settings. It has a
height of ~580 pixels, so that should be usable to everyone.

It also shows the font problem with the details view.

> My intention was to modify it to be a details view. Tobias stated
> that he does not like the idea of detail view implementations that
> allow the user to modify the selected addressee, but I do like it. In
> fact, since most displays provide a larger width than height, this
> should solve the size problems, too, with a little layout work in
> quickedit.

But if you use the table view you already have a very wide widget on the
left. If you now put the quick next to the table view you will get a
widget which is too wide to be displayed reasonably.

Hmm, seems like it would be nice to have the option to have the quick
edt at different locactions in the main window.

> > We really should provide the distributon list editor also as
> > dialog. The embedded version is really cool, because of the
> > drag&drop feature, but there is no reason why a dialog based
> > version couldn't do the same and the embedded version could also
> > provide the controls for selecting an addresse from a list.
>
> This is obviously a matter of taste, because if found the dialog
> based solution unusable. Since there are people who like a dialog and
> some who not, we can provide both options easily.

That's what I wanted to say, we have to provide both options.

> >> * It is not working well GUI-wise when displayed in a vertical
> >> pane, because it does not have an understanding of the width it
> >> requires. It should consider the required width and either provide
> >> scrollbars or claim the space it needs, preferably the first since
> >> the width will depend on the amount and length of the data in
> >> individual contacts.
> >
> > It doesn't seem to provide a minimum width. That's a bug.
>
> Remembering the reason ... it is because there is no generic minumim
> width. It is either undefined or wrong :-) The solution could be to
> just set some kind of minimum width and use scrollbars.

It should at least provide a minimum width to display enough of the
"Style:" combo box to be usable. At the moment you can resize it in a
way that the combo box completely vanishes.

["kaddressbook.png" (image/png)]