List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] KABC Addresses
From:       Anders Lund <temp_and () tiscali ! dk>
Date:       2002-10-02 21:51:04

On Onsdag den 2. oktober 2002 18:12, Tobias Koenig wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 12:40:01AM +0200, Anders Lund wrote:
> > On Tirsdag den 1. oktober 2002 23:29, Tobias Koenig wrote:
>
> Hi Anders,

Hi Tobias

> > I don't get where the code duplication comes in. The card view allows you
> > to select from the fields available in the Fields lists, and renders them
> > as good as it can.
>
> Ok, code duplication may be the wrong term in this case. Functionality
> duplication is more precise.

> > The card view supporting selections, or any feature at all, will prevent
> > anyone from using the icon view - any view - along with the details
> > panel.
>
> But it would be nice if this funtionality gets included into the datails
> page, so _all_ views can prefer from it. Otherwise the other views will
> start to implement this stuff to => real code duplication...
>
> > > That's not flexible, thats confusing...
> > > We should present the user a clear concept:
> > >   - views provides overview
> > >   - details page provides more (readable) informations
> > >   - quickedit provides editing facilities
> > >   - ditributionlist/categorymanager provides grouping of contacts
> >
> > That will still be the case. The overviews just gets more accurate and
> > flexible. Better.
>
> No, in this case cardview tries to make the work of the details page.

The card view is an implementation of a [kinda] common widget, found in other
addressbook applications. When implementing a common widget, it is generally
considered good practice to implement all features supported by other
implementations, as long as those features works well, not doing so confuses
users.

The card view is also a very complex widget, which is part of my fun fighting
it, and probably also part of the reason many people has problems with it. I
also find it extremely usefull and nice, because even the widget itself is
complex in layout and functionality, it provides a visually simple and
functionwise capable view of a lot of information. On my local copy (sorry, I
still didn't get to create a working patch...) It does autosearch on the
caption when typed into, and when all possible data becomes available, I will
be able to setup some really usefull views.

With my patch, the widget is allready working much better than the ximian
implementaiton (apart from the lack of embedded editing/selection), and
combined with the allready incredible functionality of kabc/kaddressbook it
makes kaddressbook a pleasure to use, at least for me.

> > > Features are nice, but they have to be consistent with the rest of the
> > > program.
> >
> > Well, it is - the improved card view provides the feature the rest of the
> > featurerich application lacks, as I see it.
>
> Then please add this features to the whole app and not only to _one_
> view...

The feature is the view itself, because it provides a combination and details.
I scan headers to find the contact I want and does not have to move my eyes
to view the details, exactly what any other possible configuration of
kaddressbook can't do.

Other configurations are extremely well working for managing the addressbook
data, for example a list (or icon - when do we get a practical option for
setting the photo?) combined with the quickedit and details panes.

So in my understanding making that view work /is/ adding features to the whole
app.

> > I sure enjoy the discussion. I also realize that debating has been my
> > main contribution so far, though I hope that will change...
>
> Of course, but ATM we have the feature freeze. What should we do when not
> debating ;)

Well, in my case, I work for the future as far as KAddressBook is concerned:
* Finish the card view (~75% done)
* Creating a category manager (~25%done)
* adding tool view config to view setup (working)
* trying to create a good filter feature (barely started)

Heck, with so many stubbard ppl determined on getting along, we should end up
with a hell of an application...

-anders