List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] KABC Addresses
From:       Jost Schenck <jost.schenck () gmx ! de>
Date:       2002-10-02 0:22:37

The code for the localized address formatting is done, however, there's one
problem I find difficult. Because of this, the correct country for the
address formatting can not be detected yet:

On Monday 30 September 2002 00:44, Tobias Koenig wrote:
> ATM there is no country name <-> country iso code conversation tool
> available in kdelibs and the KCountryCombo seemed not to implement it as
> well. Either we write our one stuff (I don't like this idea) or we extend
> KLocale => everybody can prefer from that change.

Right now KLocale offers mapping of ISO code to country by looking up the
entry.desktop for a specific ISO code; it then returns this file's Name
field. I clearly can't do this the other way round, so I would have to
provide some kind of translation map.

The problem I see with this is that at least in my std.vcf file the country
information is localized. I.e. in a german address I have stored, it says:

ADR;TYPE=home:;;Foobarstr. 32;Bonn;;53111;Deutschland

so this is "Deutschland" instead of "Germany". However, if an english person
would store this information it would read "Germany". I have no idea of how
to map localized country names to ISO codes apart from having a translation
map for *every* language (which would be a PITA to create and maintain).
i18n-stuff works only from english to localized not reverse, so I can't first
translate "Deutschland" to "Germany" and then look it up.

Anyone ideas? I somehow wonder why the vcard format does not seem to use
international codes for country information ... :(

-Jost.