List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] KAddressBook GUI design issues
From:       Anders Lund <temp_and () tiscali ! dk>
Date:       2002-10-01 22:47:17

On Tirsdag den 1. oktober 2002 23:53, Tobias Koenig wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 03:51:18PM +0200, Anders Lund wrote:
> > On Tirsdag den 1. oktober 2002 15:14, Mirko Boehm wrote:
>
> Hi Anders,

Hi Tobias,

> > > My intention was to modify it to be a details view. Tobias stated that
> > > he does not like the idea of detail view implementations that allow the
> > > user to modify the selected addressee, but I do like it. In fact, since
> > > most displays provide a larger width than height, this should solve the
> > > size problems, too, with a little layout work in quickedit.
> >
> > I like editable views too, so there is a discussion to make. Anyway, even
> > not editable, some views - detail is one of them - needs
> > selection/copying features.
>
> I've nothing against selection/copying functions, but they should also
> centralized to one place.

Well, /my/ natural behaviour when I see text I want in the clipboard somewhere
on my screen is grab the mouse and drag the pointer over it, especially if
the window displaying the text makes me think that I can do so.

So, I usually don't try selecting text from list views, but I do from editors.
The card view is familliar from all m$ outlook and ximian evolution users,
and both those implementations allows selecting and copying text (as well as
editing, but see below)

Anyway, I don't see why I should only be allowed to copy contact information
from one place.

> I don't like the idea of editing an addressee at different places in
> kaddressbook. It should be at a central place and this place is called
> AddresseeEditorWidget(QuickEdit).

I think we should leave that out of the discussion for now. I do realize that
it is a complex area, and given the length of my TODO list, and the
importance of fixing other aspects in KAddressBook, that discussion would be
better left forgotten for now.

-anders