List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] timestamps
From:       Tobias Koenig <tokoe82 () yahoo ! de>
Date:       2002-09-29 11:54:48

On Sat, Sep 28, 2002 at 05:43:01PM +0200, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> On Saturday 28 September 2002 16:06, Tobias Koenig wrote:
Hi Adriaan,

> > Hmm, maybe I shouldn't commit this stuff before the release, otherwise
> > the kpilot stuff won't work without changes in it and I can't force the
> > author to do so...
> > So it will be commited for 3.2.
>
> Well, no, you can't force anyone to do so, but you _can_ do patches where
> needed. I haven't followed this thread at all, so maybe you can post an
> executive summary of what needs to be done and what API changes are expected?
> I mean, you're going to have to do that _anyway_ for all the 3rd-party
> applications developers who are suddenly faced with a broken interface.
The interface isn't broken, but the behaviour changed.
Normally only Addressees in a KABC::AddressBook are saved by the resources,
when the Addressees are marked as 'changed' (use Addressee::setChanged(bool)
for it). Until now they are marked as changed automatically in the method
  AddressBook::insertAddressee( const Addressee &addr )
when addr is already included in the addressbook (in other words: if there
is already a Addressee with the same uid), but differs from the included
one.
Since the undo/redo stuff in kaddressbook insert and remove the Addresses
in a ugly way, they get marked as changed, even if that's not the case.
Furthermore the central setRevision() sets the revision for all changed
Addressees to the same timestamp.

With my patch, the automatical 'has-changed' code in
AddressBook::insertAddressee() has gone and the applications have to use the
methods Addressee::setChanged( true ) and
Addressee::setRevision( QDateTime::currentDateTime() ) to mark the Addressee
as changed.
In KAddressBook 6 lines of additional code do the trick, but I don't know
how the code in the kpilot addressbook conduit works. I guess in the
syncronization part the calls have to be added.

The documentation would need an update after this change. Because we'll
use the new resource model in KDE3.2 and the docu have to be updated anyway
I would wait until after the release of 3.1.

Ciao,
Tobias
--
In a world without walls and fences who