List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] What the POSIX way to change local timezones?
From:       Adriaan de Groot <adridg () sci ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2002-09-28 0:15:12

I'm still chasing the MB-line problems in FreeBSD. Although I just
committed a fix to libical/src/libical/icaltime.c that does the job for
FreeBSD (use unsetenv() to remove an environment variable), Ie been
looking at the rest of the code and trying to reduce the number of times
the TZ variable is set or reset.

I've got two questions left:

1) Do other systems have timegm(), which is like mktime() only it doesn't
do timezone correction? [I know Solaris does _not_ have this.]

2) What _is_ the POSIX way to change the local timezone? The BSD manpages
mention the following:

     The C Standard provides no mechanism for a program to modify its
     current local timezone setting, and the POSIX-standard method is not
     reentrant. (However, thread-safe implementations are provided in the
     POSIX threaded environment.)

but I can't find out what this is actually referring to. II'd even toy
with the idea of reading in tzfile-style definitions from
/usr/share/zoneinfo in order to produce something that I know doesn't leak
memory.