List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Kaddressbook - i'm still hanging in there;)
From:       Anders Lund <temp_and () tiscali ! dk>
Date:       2002-09-26 23:04:30

On Fredag den 27. september 2002 00:54, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> On Friday 27 September 2002 00:04, Anders Lund wrote:
> > Hi All,
> > It's been a while, but yes - I am still interessted in contributing
> > to KAddressbook/kabc development. I have resubscribed to the list
> > using my temporary email address (while I find a friendly host for my
> > domain..).
>
> Welcome back :-)

Thanks:-))

> > I am working on a filter system that allows to define trees of filter
> > rules, it can be pictured like this
> > SET name=STRING scope={AND|OR}
> >   RULE|SET
> >   [...]
> > [RULE|SET
> > ...]
> >
> > where a rule works like this:
> > RULE field=KABC::Field
> > method={Is|IsNot|Contains|DoesNotContain|(etc...)} [test=STRING]
>
> This sounds powerful but complex. It might be a nice addition for power
> users, but for the regular user we should try to provide a filter
> interface as simple as possible, I think.

Well, the complexity seen by the user is defined by the GUI. It would still be
possible to define a filter finding
"members of category X"
and so.

Do you think the filtering function in outlook 2000/Xp or the search function
in evolution is overcomplex?

Anyway, my idear is to make a listview containing the filter, with a "new
rule" button that displays a dialog letting the user choose a field, a
condition and enter or choose a test string, the available conditions and
test strings could be depending on the field chosen.

-anders