List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Kaplan: The road ahead
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-09-18 22:30:16

On Wednesday 18 September 2002 21:42, Daniel Molkentin wrote:

> 1) Kaplans general design
>
> At the moment Kaplan bases on an abstraction through plugins, that
> get loaded on startup and hold some information about the Part to be
> loaded. I would prefer if we could get rid of this cruft. All
> information we need can be put in header files AFAICS.

I think the main point about Kaplan is that it achieves integration of
PIM/Groupware apps without creating dependencies on each other in the
application code and without sacrifying the ability to run them
stand-alone.

The plugin concept was inspired by the gideon. There might be better
solutions, e.g. a special KPimPart derived form KPart providing the
necessary infrastructure for communication between parts. But this
doesn't matter much. As long as the tasks of integration is kept in the
Kaplan framework and the task of providing the functionality is left to
the application code we are on the safe side. Changing either of them
will affect the other components.

Another important concept is that most communication is done via DCOP.
This allows for both, interprocess communication between stand-alone
apps and efficient in-process communication between KPart based
components.

By doing the integration with plugins/Kparts and DCOP we minimise
compile time dependencies, make use of the existent mechanisms to
resolve run-time dependencies and cleanly separate the integration code
from the actual functionality. This is a good thing and I'm happy to
see that almost all of us agree on that.

> 2) Kaplans name
>
> I agree with you that Kaplan is not a real good name for a consumer
> product. I agreed with Don to call it Kontact. We will switch the
> name at some point but I consider other (design) decitions to have
> precedence.

I don't think that this is of any importance right now. Both names are
fine, but currently we should concentrate on the code I think.

> 4) Kroupware integration
>
> - Handling of incoming VCal Events and:
> Cornelius should probably comment on that. Anyone?

I still think that a plugin interface for filtering mime objects in
KMail would be the right way to pass iMIP requests to KOrganizer. You
register a plugin for the mime type text/calendar and when KMail sees a
mail containing an object of this type it decodes it and passes the
information to the plugin by native C++ calls. The plugin
implementation (which could be anything from a simple program just
passing the data to the iMIP incoming directory of KOrganizer to a full
KOrganizer providing dialogs and preview) does the further processing.

Sending events from Korganizer to KMail via DCOP is fine with any way of
integrating the programs.

And once again: It's not vCal events, it's iMIP, which is an
implementation of iTIP using email as transport layer based on the
iCalendar format. vCalendar is an old format which isn't used for group
scheduling. There already have been confusions about the kroupware
project using obsolete technology because of this, so please get the
terms right.

> - The KOrganizer side:
> Looks like we won't need to change too much, I am currently trying to
> get kroupware_branch working to get an impression.

KOrganizer has to provide all its actions in the KPart used by Kaplan.
At the moment it only provides the actions needed for a read-only part.
Kroupware creates the missing actions in the KMail code. This should be
changed to be reuse the code within KOrganizer by making it a bit more
modular.

> - KAddressbook: Any strong feelings on the integration of the
> addressbook (other than showing it?)

Most integration work is alread done by using libkabc as common library.
In adition to that we have drag&drop and some DCOP calls. In my opinion
KAddressbook proves that the Kaplan concept really works. With almost
no work we got it intgerated with the other apps in a way very similar
to Outlook and its clones.

> 5) Myself and my involvement.
> I will again start to activlely develop on Kaplan. The Problem is
> that university starts by the beginning of next month and I will have
> to concentrate on that for the next time. I think we can find an
> interim maintainer for that time. Just tell me if you want to step in
> when the time comes...

I'm tired of maintainer discussions. I vote for collective ownership of
code. We have a common goal and if all involved people do their
contributions in a responsible way there shouldn't be any problem.