List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] Feature Request: KDE PIM
From:       Amit Upadhyay <upadhyay () me ! iitb ! ac ! in>
Date:       2002-08-29 19:55:36

Hi group,

I have been using KDE for quite sometime. These are a few things I want to be
improved.

Hope this is of some help in making KDE even better.

KOrganizer:
-----------
* Shortcut for actions: Next and Previous
* Shortcut for Today.
* Multi-day-Events not displayed properly in day-views.
* Alt-Click may bring up "show" dialog, when done on events in any view.
Consistency will improve usability.
* Project is very confusing.
* More than one, day-long-events, should share the top place holder
horizontally not vertically, in the day-views.
* "What's Next" should be customizable, as in to how many days in advance is
shown etc.
* It would be useful if we had something like:	"korganizer --whatsNext"
popping up small window, instead of the whole korganizer.
* find the current wallpaper -> pixmap of Right-justified-whats-next ->
superimpose -> make it wallpaper.

	Journal:
	* Shortcut to insert current timestamp (configurable: Date time etc).
	* Handbook like view.
	* Support for encryption [private vs confidential entries].
	* $ kjournal [or  $ korganizer --journal] just to use journals [when i am
writing journals, i am not really organizing myself in the true sense].

	TODO:
	* todos not associated with time should be displayed in all "what's next"
views.

	DCOP:

KMail:
------
* Use of alarm daemon for mail checking.
* New mail event, from alarm daemon, should "openReader" the folder which
recieved the new mail.
* Draft folder: Pine like programs keep postphoned-mesgs folder only if there
is some message in it. Similer behaviour in kmail would improve usability
[for those using pine in tandem with kmail].
* An option to add all the addressee's of a mail to addressbook as a
email-list.
* Pressing Key_N in "folder-view" should take to the next mail, irrespective
of sorting order (as in, when sorted in order of arrival). If not acceptable
to all, it may be put as an option. Similer for pressing Key_D to delete, it
should take to the "logical next".
* Pine like switching between full header display and normal header display by
pressing Key_H.
* When replying to some email-list mail, we generally "Reply" and not "Reply
All", hence the "Configure Kmail->Composer->Phrase->Reply to Sender" string
is used(which generally contains "you wrote on 10th Feb" etc). Can something
be done about it[though i cant think of any solution, other than someway of
email list detection ].

	Composer:
	* Sticky flag behaviour for Fcc: I default all my mails to sent-mail on IMAP,
but once in a while save a few to others. Slight increase in usability can be
achieved if, i dont have to unselect sticky cross everytime i temporarily
change FCC folder.
	* No documentation telling what happens if there is crash while i am
composing a long mail. A save-to-draft-witout-quitting-composer like
button(/shortcut) might help.
	* "Reply" includes the text and brings in the cursor to the second line!
Better if it inserted a blank line and cursor to the starting of it.
	* The addressbook dialog (Clicking on "..." for address fields) needs few
improvements. Repeated addresses should be deleted, and a cross in front of
each address listed, to delete that address, to avoid clutterring.
	* Auto-completion for address fields.
	* "$ kmail --draft" (or some similer mechanism, DCOP?) opens a dialog showing
list of postphoned messages, any one of them may be selected to continue.
	* option of chooseing if the cursor should leave the body area, when pressing
up, to the header fields.

KAddressBook:
-------------
* Birthdays need not have year association (I generally dont know the
year-of-birth of my contacts, and many a times, if i do, i feel lazy and mark
birthdays like 10th-Feb-2002 or 2001 which ever is closer. Wrong entries look
bad.
* Automatic addition of birthdays and anniversaries to korganizer.
* Alias/nick name field [which can be used in kmail]
* Facility to import pine [and mutt?] address books.

I am highly impressed by the KDE bucket of applications. Congratulations for
doing such a nice work.

Regards,
--
Amit Upadhyay