List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] KAddressbook issues
From:       Tobias Koenig <tokoe () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-08-24 21:59:44

On Sat, Aug 24, 2002 at 07:02:02PM +0200, Martin Thierer wrote:
Hi Martin,

> I tried to enter some addresses with today's head version of
> kaddressbook. I think the resent changes to the UI are a real
> step forward in usability, but I found some oddities:
>
> 1. Very odd: When I enter an I (big i) as the first character
> into the "Name" field (next to the "Name..." button) the whole
> entry freezes for quite a long time before the character
> appears. I haven't found any other character which causes this
> problem, but I haven't checked that much.
Ok, fixed it. The problem was a bug in the setNameFromString method.
It had a problem with 'I' since it is also a suffix :)

> 2. The "Formated Name" field gets initialized only with the first
> character you enter into the "Name" field.
Well, I think Cornelius should comment on this. That is such a problem
I discussed in previous threads.
The program _does not_ no, what the user wants to input, so it can't handle
all input correctly.
Here is the problem, that in one case the formatted name shouldn't be
overwritten, but in an other case it should.
Since QComboBox can't tell me if the user typed in the text by hand or if
it was set by the a method, I can't differ the input => I can't handle the
input correctly :(
Either we make the formatted name combo read-only or the formatted name
isn't updated automatically in the combo box.
Cornelius?

> 3. The entry of the phone numbers confused me :-) It seems to me,
> that the only way to enter new numbers is by using the "Edit
> Phone numbers..." dialog. But then why are the entry boxes for
> the numbers editable? Well, I think it _should_ be possible to
> enter numers there and select a type for it, but I found no way
> to do so. I see that it isn't possible to present all the fancy
> combinations for the type in a drop down list. But personally I
> doubt that anyone needs them (even if they are supported by
> vCard). I think it would be better to select a few reasonable
> types (like "home", "work", "cell phone") for the drop down list
> and leave the exotic ones for the phone number edit dialog
> called by the "Edit Phone numbers..." dialog. The "preferred"
> number should be the one shown as the top entry.
The whole concept of the phone number input is a bit buggy.
Maybe we should use the same as for the address?

> 4. The phone number marked as "cell phone" corresponds to the
> field "mobile phone" in the "Modify View" dialog. I think the
> naming should be consistent either way.
Fixed.

> 5. After editing the filters the drop down box which selects the
> filters in the toolbar is reset to "None" (it's just the drop
> down box - the view still correctly shows the entries filtered
> by the previously selected filter).
Fixed. Remaining problem: when the current filter is deleted, the
combobox is set to 'None', but the view isn't updated. It seems, that
the combobox doesn't emit the activated() signal when using setCurrentItem().
Has anybody an idea?

> 6. When I enter an email-address into the "preferred email
> address" field, this address is shown in the "Edit email
> addresses" dialog only after the whole entry is saved by
> "Apply".
Fixed.

Thank you for your report it is always a big help.

Ciao,
Tobias
--
In a world without walls and fences who