List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] KPilot Developer's notes for july 17th, 2002
From:       Adriaan de Groot <adridg () cs ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2002-07-22 10:44:19

On Wednesday 17 July 2002 19:09, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> KPilot Developer's notes for july 17th, 2002

Woo! Kudo's for keeping that tradition alive while I was (1) moving my
computer and discovering that 19k2 modem connections are no fun after cable
(2) at camp taking care of problem children.

> I just enabled the compilation of the conduit, but before you now can't
> resist pressing the hotsync button, be warned: you WILL LOOSE DATA (at
> least maybe/probably).

Ach, in HEAD this might be partially acceptable. 3	We should spend some time
figuring out when to bump KPilot's version numbers, and when to reelase
something -- separate from a KDE release -- that we can call "ready for use"
again. It's been a long time.

> let you edit it. I know that's bad, but on the other hand, the palm does
> not specify home/work address. So in my eyes, kaddressbook also needs to

Common problem of trying to map various address book formats onto each other.
I think the one on the KDE desktop should be the most extensive and flexible
one, since that's where oyur coding power is. We can't exactly fix broken
addressbook apps on hundreds of various electronic gadgets.

> I also started implementing categories into the todo conduit, but haven't
> had the time to get it really working. The PilotTodoEntry class has now
> more or less the same constructurs as the PilotAddressEntry, which requires
> a PilotAppInfo block. I have yet to figure out a way to sync the categories
> correctly, even if the last sync was done with an old conduit and didn't
> include categories. Otherwise the users will loose their category settings,
> which is worse than categories not being synced.

Save a conduit version number in the config file, so you can notice when the
upgrade is done.

--
Work: http://www.cs.kun.nl/~adridg/frescos/
Play: http://freebsd.kde.org/  http://slac.com/~pilone/kpilot_home/