List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Marcus Bains line
From:       Andy Fawcett <andy () athame ! co ! uk>
Date:       2002-07-04 15:31:22

On Thursday 04 July 2002 14:41, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> On Thursday 04 July 2002 13:06, Andy Fawcett wrote:
> > At 00:12 04/07/2002, you wrote:
> > >In current CVS in kdepim/korganizer is a test program named
> > > "timezone" (you have to explicitly call "make timezone". It's not
> > > built by default). Could one of you having the problems with the
> > > Marcus Bains line please post the output of this program.
> >
> > This won't build on FreeBSD, because line 31 of timezone.cpp uses
> > timezone(), which is a totally different definition to the one on
> > Linux. On FreeBSD, timezone takes two int parameters, and returns a
> > character pointer to the TZ shortform, as used in dates (GMT, BST,
> > CET etc).
>
> timezone should be a variable and not a function according to the
> manpage of localtime. What's the output when you remove the line with
> the timezone reference?

My apologies, the () were mine there. On BSD, it is a function, as
described by Adriaan.

Here's the output (with comments from me):

timezone: ----- time zone: Europe/Helsinki                (correct)
timezone: KPimPrefs::usrReadConfig()
timezone: KOrganizer TimezoneId: Europe/Helsinki          (correct)
timezone: localtime: 18:12                                (correct)
timezone: tzname: EET EEST            (correct, normal TZ + DST TZ)
timezone: timezone: 3                                   (see below)
timezone: QDateTime::currentTime(): 18:12:29              (correct)
timezone: KLocale::formatTime(): 18:12                    (correct)
timezone: KOPrefs::~KOPrefs()

The timezone result is after I modified the code to use t->tm_gmtoff
instead of timezone. This apparently returns "the offset (in seconds)
of the time represented from UTC, with positive values indicating east
of the Prime Meridian". So, '3' means three hours in front of UTC
(correct).

Now for the weirdness. I have both 3.0.2 installed here (from CVS
sources) and HEAD (from about 3 hours ago). If I run HEAD, everything
is great. The korganizerrc file is *identical* to the one I use for
3.0.2 (specially copied across for this test), and it's the same
machine (different user though). I've put screenshots at:

http://crucible.athame.co.uk/m-b/

but be warned, the images are pretty big (1400x1050 24-bit)

I'm at a loss to explain this, I've looked at the sources and can see
nothing obvious that has changed in HEAD and not backported. Maybe
someone more familiar with the code can explain it.

I hope this has been of some use.

Andy

--
Andy Fawcett      |   "In an open world without walls and fences,
andy@athame.co.uk |      we wouldn't need Windows and Gates."