List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] KitchenSync future
From:       Holger Freyther <freyther () gmx ! net>
Date:       2002-06-30 15:09:37

Hi list,

I was busy getting the Opie project into shape again. But now it's time for
what was promised before the LT.

I branched kdepim/ksync/lib to MAKE_ZECKE_HAPPY. Cornelius  API was already
pretty good.
What is changed:
I moved all classes of this lib into the namespace KitchenSync.
I added my stuff ( which I think is important ) to the lib (arguable) .
I factored out the Syncing Algorithm from (K)Syncer to a class of it's own.

What is left:
I would like to split ksyncer.h ksyncer.cpp into one file per class. These
classes got larger and IMHO it's more clean to separate them.
Implement some functions and port everything (KSyncee,KSyncEntry) from ksync
and kitchensync to the improved API
Add functions to Syncer to sync asynchron and extend the interface for that

I give you guys some time ( especially Cornelius ) to discuss about the
changes. But I invite all to discuss this because this will be the API for
KDE3 for one part of the synchronisation framework.

After the discussion is done I would like to move ksync/lib back to
kitchensync/lib and move ksync/src to kitchensync/ksyncgui. The reason is
both guis available will use the same lib as backend. But KSync will not use
the KonnectorFramework and will not support syncing with mobiledevices.

Then we'll review the Konnector Framework ( QWidget* for configurations + the
old Kapabilities for GUI mode ) and it'll be ported to the new ksync/lib API.
Then the OpieKonnector will be ported and the XML parsers will be implemented
properly to support syncing with Sharp Zaurus as well.

Then it's time for the GUI. Review of the ManipulatorPart API. The display of
progress when syncing, multiple profiles and Konnectors.

You see it's a lot of stuff to do in KitchenSync itself. But Korganizer (
libkcal ) will be need to make usable with the KSharedFile to support syncing
in a appropriate manner.

regards Holger