List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] kabc control module
From:       Reinhold Kainhofer <reinhold () kainhofer ! com>
Date:       2002-06-26 8:44:03

Tobias Koenig wrote:

>>2) In the list of available resources, there is no indication of the
>>type of a resource if you didn't inlclude that into the resource's name.
>>How about replacing the list box by a [QK]ListView where the second
>>columns states "file", "directory" (each vcal in its own file), "sql",
>>"ldap", etc.
>>

>In current CVS version it's already included.

I saw this yesterday, sorry for bothering you with it. Still I think a
ListView would be better than the current list box: You can sort the
resources according to their type. E.g. you have 4 ldap entries (e.g.
one for you personal addressbook, one of the department, one of the
university etc.), the old kabc vcal file, the addressbook which should
be synced with your handheld (you don't want to have all addresses
there...), the kde cvs accounts, the debian developers etc.
Soon the list gets quite long, and then it can currently only be sorted
alphabetically, not by resource type.

And in an additional (maybe optional via a checkbox at the bottom of the
kcm module?) column you could even give the URL of the addressbook
resource. Then you have all the information at a glance, and managing
your resources is easier (image a guy from the it department who has to
help someone with a "broken" addressbook. Currently he has to edit every
resource to find out where it takes its data from. With such a third
column he will be  able to find the error much faster).

>>3) As a user, it's not clear to me to which resource a new addressbook
>>entry is added. To the first/last in the list? To the first writeable?
>>How about adding "(default)" to the name of that one?
>>

>In current CVS version a dialog is displayed in kaddressbook, where you can
>select to which resource the new entry should belong.

If you use KStdAddressBook::insert, where will the entry go? For the
addressbook conduit for KPilot there needs to be some default value,
which the user needs to be able to specify, so a dialog in kaddressbook
is mayto one level too high? I'd say such a setting intuitively belongs
to the list of resources. There you specify which resources should be
used at all, and which one should be used by default.

An additional thought: How about adding a short sentence on top of the
module which explains in a few words what that module is for (i.e. that
the kde addressbook supports data from multiple sources, which can be
specified here).

Reinhold