List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Folders and Multi-User for libkabc?
From:       Don Sanders <sanders () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-06-19 3:06:11

On Tuesday 18 June 2002 15:01, Bryan Brunton wrote:
> Again, I'm not following you.  You aren't seeing the value of
> shared folders? The value is all about data-sharing.  Take a look
> at this Advance screen shot:
>
> http://dunsinane.net/bryan/screenshot.html
>
> You see the "Public Folders" node in the treeview?  That node is
> available to all users.  Multiple users store shared contacts under
> that node.  They can then maintain a personal addressbook in the
> personal folders.
>
> The ability to do simple data-sharing like this is one of the
> primary reasons why Microsoft makes millions of dollars per year
> selling Exchange server. Exchange server allows for data-sharing
> between all of the Outlook installations at a corporation.

So that's equivalent to the company ldap server scenario that mike
mentioned is being worked on.

KAddressBook can already handle other applications modifying the
addressbook while KAddressBook is running, (or at least it could last
time I checked) so it's multi-user ready in that sense. KAddressBook
doesn't have a UI for choosing between addressbooks but until
multiple backend implementations exist for libkabc it doesn't make
much sense to add such a UI.

Don Sanders