List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Folders and Multi-User for libkabc?
From:       Tobias Koenig <tokoe82 () yahoo ! de>
Date:       2002-06-18 13:59:56

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 02:50:46PM -0700, Bryan Brunton wrote:
Hi Bryan,

> Mixing categories and folders is probably confusing to the user as well.
> Categories aren't used like folders in other PIM applications.  Most users
> won't understand or are not familiar with a "folders are mapped to categories"
> approach.  If they delete an item from one "category folder", chances are,
> they wouldn't understand why it was deleted from the other "category folder".
> A folder are most commonly a place where a user places something, not a
> mechanism for filtering content.
Do you mean somthing like distribution lists but not restricted to email addresses?

> The libkabc backend needs real folder support in order to support in order
> to support multiple users.  That's how public folders are possible. You could
> implement folders in libkabc by creating a new private vcard attribute.  Two
> users could then share the same libkabc backend and view different folders
> of contacts.
Hmm, I do not understand why you would need such folders. Could you give me a
example from real live?

I would like to extend libkabc for folder usage, but until know I don't
understand exactly what the task of such a folder is.

Ciao,
Tobias
--
In a world without walls and fences who