List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] [RFC]: KDE GroupWare solution
From:       Guenter Schwann <schwann () icg ! tu-graz ! ac ! at>
Date:       2002-06-15 6:26:25

On Saturday 15 June 2002 02:39, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> On Friday 14 June 2002 16:47, Guenter Schwann wrote:
> > - - easy to configure (one setup for many programs)
>
> Do you think of using the same server for addressbook, calendar, mail
> data here?

I mean entering the servername once, I have it configured for all pim apps.
(configuring is no easy task for novice users).

> My question was specifically about a calendar server, because with all
> other data there are accepted server solutions with (at least some)
> support in KDE.

But our solution has to be platform independent to be accepted.

> > - - users have to enter their email(s) several times
>
> That should be solved by common configuration options and a common
> addressbook which also does not mean that apps have to be merged.

I'm no fan of this merger too, but interoperation can/should always be
improved a lot.

> > And I don't think Kmail will access emails other than via POP3 or
> > IMPA4 (at least for next few years). KNode will always use newsnet.
> > So it's ony about serveraccess for KOrganizer and KAddressbook.
>
> A PIM server will certainly be a collection of several specialized
> servers and I'm not sure that for calendaring data we necessarily need
> something new, maybe IMAP or LDAP is ok for this purpose.

Yes, as far as I know Outlook can do some calendaring via IMAP-shared folders.

> > One more thought:
> > If we want to replace Outlook, then we only have to care about
> > groupscheduling and addressbook-server-access. But groupware can be
> > much more! (see: "work flow")
>
> What exactly do you mean by "work flow"?

I mean that documents are passed around digitally to the correct employee,
after another one checked it in.
Or "working together on one document".

> > What do we want to target?
>
> We should target something we are able to implement in a reasonable
> time. I would already be very happy if we have usable support for
> addressbook data from an LDAP server and a way to publish free/busy
> information to a server.

So we focus on a replacement of Outlook...

ciao
- --
Guenter Schwann