List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Feature plan 3.1 libkabc
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-06-14 9:32:28

On Thursday 13 June 2002 12:23, André Somers wrote:

> Maybe we could think about defining some properties that recourses can
> have, that together describe it's capabilities, and making sure these
> capabilities are properly used of course. An LDAP resource for instance can
> not provide a list of contact like the standard resource can (or it must be
> the searchresult of the last search), but it has extensive search
> capabilities. A flat-file backend might have limited search capabilities,
> but would be able to support retreiving of the complete list of contacts.
> An SQL backend might do both. I think we need to find a set of ortogonal
> properties that each resource can have, and give each resource a method
> that tells libkabc which of these properties this resource supports.

If Resources can have orthogonal properties, wouldn't it be better to use
different classes than trying to use one for different purposes.

For a class accessing a big LDAP server it's probably more useful to have an
API which supports asynchronous queries with wildcard support and similar
things, for a file based backend the current Resource class with its
synchronous API and the load/save based architecture might be better.

--
Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher.kde.org>