List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Addressbook - link to advance contacts ?
From:       Bryan Brunton <bryanbrun () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2002-06-14 3:57:09

<< What is the problem? It seems you want to convince this list that we should
trash our apps and instead support advance, more or less, and then you
complain and even start fighting over words when the kde-pim developers
happens to believe they did some good code and apps, which they want to keep? >>

Dear Anders,

If this thread hasn't convinced you that I will reply to an email simply for
the benifit of replying, then I'm not sure what will.  I value argument for the
sack of argument.  I've got this nihilistic frog stuck in my throat.  I find
that I tend to do act like this when I'm bored and am sitting in front of a
computer and doing some idle day trading.  You will also find if you reread
some of my ramblings that at no point have I tried to "convince this list that
we should trash our apps."  I'm not sure where you dreamed that up.

Sorry, I can't guarantee you that everything I do will be constructive.  In
fact, I can guarantee you that much of what I do will be unconstructive as thumb
twiddling.

I can if I concentrate for a few seconds think constructively.  This will take
some effort.  Ok, lets imagine that once I or someone else writes a libkabc
plugin or backend that can talk to a database.  I know this idea is blasphemous;
some of the people here believe that the world only needs one address book,
that being kaddressbook.  But just for the sake of argument, what if libkabc
could talk to databases?  The large majority of the world's PIM data is actually
stored in databases.  Not many applications out there actually stored their PIM
data in one large VCard file.  This db plug-in could potentially be easily modified
to talk to different PIM databases.

If libkabc could talk to databases, then potentially KMail could be configured to
talk to applications like GoldMine, ACT!.  It turns out that millions of people use
these databased PIM applications in their corporations.  Imagine kde-pim, kmail and
KDE actually being used in these corporations when they realize that its
interoperable with their legacy data.

Ok, that was as constructive as I can get. If you reply to this, chances are I will
reply to your reply with something that contains zero constructive content.