List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Project-oriented features
From:       Adriaan de Groot <adridg () sci ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2002-06-13 13:59:15

Zdrastvuytye Viktor,

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Viktor S. Grishchenko wrote:
> For last year I'm using some kind of project-oriented $HOME organization and
> it helps a lot. Currently I'm coding little app to automate my $HOME magic,
> and I expect some feedback from you, PIM guys.

For "expect" I guess you mean "would like".

> 1. $HOME organization
> The main idea is matrix-like separation when
> a) files from different projects are located in different folders
> b) files of different content types are located in different folders

You know, this came up earlier once. It's a nice idea to be able to have a
project-oriented view of all your data (as opposed to the data-oriented
view we have now). I think the idea wasted away because it seemed like it
would be really really hard to re-use KDE applications for such a project
view. They're not designed that way. Mark Westcott did a lot of work on
"Contact Pinning", where you could "pin" a variety of extra data to todos.

> 4. The CONCEPT
> - - every project consists of assets (assets may be: content dirs, mails,
> bookmarks, contacts, anything else)
> - - every asset may be flattened (transformed to files under the project's base
> directory) and later restored back into usable state
> - - so every project may be flattened, restored, packed, deleted or moved as a
> whole. This brings some RPM-like granularity to personal information

Useful. Definitely. Bringing the project-oriented paradigm to KDE would be
a big step forward.

So count this as a totally useless "good idea!" style mail, and remember:
code is _always_ better than whitepapers.